This French toast recipe of mine has been curated and developed over many years. My grandmother was French, so my mom always made us French toast with the secret ingredient in this recipe: Grand Marnier Liqueur. Just a little orange liquor adds such a gorgeous flavor to this dish. The alcohol burns off while cooking, leaving the perfect hint of orange. If you don’t have any in the house, absolutely opt for a half teaspoon of orange zest!
For this recipe, I’ve made it dairy free using almond milk, which makes it so much lighter. If your family prefers dairy, just substitute the almond milk for regular milk.
1. Whisk the eggs, almond milk, cinnamon, grand marnier, nutmeg and salt together.
2. Pour into a bowl or a deep dish pan (I use a pan so that I can soak more pieces of bread at a time).
3. Soak bread in the mixture for 5-10 minutes each side. For thinner bread, you can soak closer to 5 minutes, and for thicker bread, leave it in for longer.
4. Cook on medium heat in a frying pan 2-3 minutes on each side, until the bread is golden in color. Feel free to increase the heat slightly, but want the inside to cook!
5. Arrange and serve with assorted fruits, syrup, whipped cream, or whatever you love.