It’s finally the time of year when some of our favorite seasonal foods are ripe and great for cooking! In the spring and summer, there’s nothing better than heading to the farmer’s markets for fresh produce. June is the time when farmer’s markets really get going in Stamford! Check out the list of farmer’s markets in town this summer!
Sundays, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
June 9 – October 7
Farmer’s Market Music noon – 2 p.m.
129 Stillwater Avenue
Thursdays, noon – 6 p.m.
Saturdays, 9 a.m. – noon
May 31 – October
High Ridge Shopping Center (front parking lot)
Wednesdays & Sundays, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
June – August
Stamford Downtown (Prospect Street at Latham Park)
Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
June 23 – October 27
Stamford Museum & Nature Center
Sundays, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
June 24 – September 30
Free for members & non-members
When you get home with your fresh finds, here are a few recipes to try out. Enjoy, mamas!
Oven Roasted Asparagus
– 2 pounds thick asparagus, woody ends trimmed off
– 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
– Freshly ground pepper
– 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)
– Fresh lemon juice (optional)
– Parmesan (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Oil a baking sheet or a baking dish large enough to hold the asparagus in one layer. Place the asparagus in the dish, and toss with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, until the stalks begin to shrivel and color lightly.
2. Remove from the oven. If desired, toss with the thyme and season with lemon juice and/or parmesan.
Spring Pea Risotto
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 shallots, diced
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 cup Arborio Rice
– 1/2 cup dry White Wine
– 2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
– 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
– 1/3 cup mascarpone Cheese
– 1 ½ cups fresh peas, shelled and blanched
– kosher salt and pepper to taste
– lemon wedges
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the shallot and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for about 1 minute. Add the Arborio rice to the skillet, toss to coat, and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
2. Add white wine and stir the rice until all the wine has been absorbed. Add the chicken stock 1/2 cup at a time. Let fully absorb before adding more.
3. Once the rice is just tender, add the Parmesan and mascarpone cheese and combine. Add the previously blanched peas and carefully combine. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Squeeze lemon juice on top and serve.
– 2 cups diced fresh strawberries
– 2 scallions, thinly sliced
– 1/2 cup thinly sliced baby radishes
– 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
– 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
– 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 ripe avocado, diced
Toss together strawberries, scallions, radishes, chives, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Gently toss in avocado just before serving. Enjoy!