If you’re looking for a fun activity to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with your family, we have some great recipes and crafts that everyone will enjoy! Click here for a list of places to get festive treats!
LUCKY CHARMS ICE CREAM SANDWICH
from South OC Moms
- Sugar Cookie – Cookie Dough(you can certainly make sugar cookies from scratch. I saved a couple steps by using Pillsbury ready made sugar cookie dough).
- Green Food Coloring
- Lucky Charms
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Put the pre-made sugar cookie dough in a bowl and add green food coloring. Add as much food coloring as you need, until the whole batch is green.
- Cook the sugar cookies per the instructions on the wrapper.
- Let the cookies cool.
- Take some slightly soft vanilla ice cream and scoop it on to the bottom side of one cookie.
- Place another cookie on top and then take the lucky charms and place them in the ice cream around the entire edge of the cookie
DIY RAINBOW ART
with From Scratch with Maria
- White paper, preferably card stock but any white paper will work
- Paint, preferably in the colors of the rainbow
- Small piece of cardboard or an additional piece of paper that is folded in half twice to create a thick edge
- Lay a white piece of paper onto a covered surface horizontal.
- Start on the bottom left side of the white piece of paper and apply dots of paint starting on the outside and moving your way in with the rainbow colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue) The red dot should be the largest dot (about the size of a quarter) and slightly make the dots smaller as you get to the purple.
- With the cardboard or folded piece of paper and start at the bottom of the page, below the paint, swipe the paint by pressing the edge of the cardboard or paper just under the paint and around so that it will carry the paint to the other side of the paper. Swipe the paint up and then back down in a large upside down “u” shape to create a rainbow shape.
RECYCLED RAINBOW GARLAND
from Iowa City Cedar Rapids Moms
- Egg cartons
- Foam board, cardboard, or any old box
- Craft sponge or brush
- Polyester fiber fill, cotton/felt balls, or pompoms
- Twine or any string (any color)
- Washable kids’ paint
- Multipurpose glue
- Paint the bottom of the egg carton to make the shamrocks. Cut individually after dry and glue them together 3 by 3. After glue dries, attach them to the twine/string by making a small hole to each side of the top shamrock. I added some glitter to the shamrocks just for fun.
- Cut other parts of the egg carton you think you can play with, making shapes and/or several small pieces. Set them aside.
- Draw and cut a rainbow shape on the foam board/cardboard/box. Punch 2 holes on it’s top where you’ll pass the twine/string to make a hanger.
- Glue the polyester fiber fill/cotton/pompoms to the bottom part of the rainbow to create the clouds. Then glue the pieces of egg carton on the rainbow’s surface as you wish and let it sit for a while to dry.
- Note: You can use hot glue if you want it to dry quickly, but I don’t recommend it if you do this craft with kids.
- After it’s completely dry, dab paint your rainbow with washable paint. I chose regular rainbow colors, but you can use any colors you want. Wait for it to dry completely and it’s ready to hang.
from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoon butter melted
- 24 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- ½ cup heavy cream
- several drops of red, orange, lemon yellow, leaf green, royal blue, purple gel food color
For the full recipe, click here!
These were originally published on our parent site, The Local Moms Network